How to Find the Best Release Agents for Your Needs
Every bakery is unique, manufacturing different goods and utilizing different baking processes. One of the problems some bakers experience is a disconnect between them and their release agent suppliers. The solutions offered aren’t always a perfect fit for the bakers’ unique situations, which can prevent them from achieving their goals concerning product quality, production efficiency, and cost savings.
Whether it’s due to innovation stagnation, leadership changes, or other factors, some release agent suppliers are struggling to keep up with the ever-changing demands of their customers. A one-size-fits-all approach to release agents is destined to fail. Why would a single product work for thousands of bakeries and their various, unique production methods?
If you work at a bakery and aren’t satisfied with your release agents, you don’t have to settle. This article is designed to help you find the best release agents for your needs by providing a list of topics that should be discussed with your supplier BEFORE any product is recommended.
Release Agent Discussion Topics
Discussing the topics below will ensure that your current or potential new release agent supplier has a complete understanding of your situation. This will enable them to recommend the best fit from among their existing product lineup or work with you to develop a custom formulation.
1. What is the pain point?
- What problem does your release agent need to solve?
- What area of processing is it needed for (slicing, baking, extrusion, emulsification, etc.)?
- If you are currently using a release agent, what do you like and not like about it?
2. What are the desired regulatory attributes?
- Does the release agent need to be allergen-free, preservative-free, non-GMO, organic, etc.?
- Are there any ingredients that are not permitted in the release agent or facility?
3. What is the baking process?
- What is the baking temperature?
- How is the release agent applied (manually, dip pan/bath, spray system, etc.)?
- What is the desired release agent viscosity?
- What is the cooking surface (pans, belts, molds, presses, etc.)?
- What is the cooking surface comprised of?
- Does the cooking or processing surface change during the baking process?
4. What is the desired oxidative stability?
- What is the expected shelf life of the finished good?
- If polymerization of vegetable-based release agents is a concern, are you willing to pay a premium for alternative oil selections which can better resist oxidation?
5. What is the desired price point?
- What is the target price when considering needs and performance goals?
The Avatar Approach to Solution Selling
At Avatar Corporation, our approach is to work intimately with current and potential customers to understand their unique characteristics and needs. We discuss all of the release agent topics listed above and more. We are hands-on when qualifying release agents, including multiple departments (purchasing, operations, quality control, etc.) in the discussion to ensure the products we provide are the best possible fit.
Avatar offers a wide range of release agents, can create custom-blended solutions if desired, and hold the highest level of certifications in the industry. To get pricing, order a sample, connect with a territory manager, or for other inquiries, contact us.